Founded in 1894, the Winnipeg Humane Society is one of Canada’s oldest and well-known animal welfare organizations. Each year we rescue, care for, medically treat and adopt over 10,000 animals in need. We are also one of the only Canadian SPCAs that educates Canadians on key animal welfare issues while also lobbying for the legislative change. A key part of our work involves inspiring youth and young adults to become active in making this world a kinder place for animals.
As such, we are excited to launch a new scholarship opportunity, consisting of two honorariums in total, for June 2022.
One individual from each category (Indigenous applicants and non-Indigenous applicants) will receive $1,500 respectively, for the purpose of furthering their education or associated projects related to animal welfare.
- All individuals aged between 15-18 years, and who demonstrate an outstanding effort in improving the welfare of non-companion animals, are encouraged to apply. This can include, but is not limited to: pursuing a secondary education relating to animal welfare, developing a community project that improves animal welfare and/or the environment, advocacy efforts towards key issue(s) affecting animals and/or the environment, and more.
- Applicants must be a resident of Manitoba, Canada.
- Applicants must not be a previous winner of this scholarship.
- Two references (non-family or friend) must be provided in the submission.
- A written submission (between 300-600 words) that outlines the applicant’s efforts in improving non-companion animal welfare, and how the funds will benefit the applicant if chosen. Please state in your submission which category you are applying under (Indigenous or non-Indigenous category).
- Agree to a subsequent follow-up to demonstrate how funds were utilized.
Applicants can email their submissions to: [email protected]
All applications due: May 15th, 2022. Successful applicants will be contacted by mid-June, 2022.